Submission Control

The number one question I hear from unrepresented actors is, how do I get an agent?  My answer is, use the people you know.  Using people is the core of this business.  It has bad connotations, but it is the truth.  I use the people i know everyday to get actors into doors that may otherwise not be open.  My friends use me to find the right actors for the role they may be casting.  When they say this business is about who you know, they are not kidding.  But who you know means nothing if you don't use those people to do your business.

You can submit to agents until you are blue in the face.  The envelopes may be opened.  They may not.  And if your submission crosses the right desk at the right time, perhaps you will end up with an agent.  Here are a few simple rules that may help your chances.  Keep your cover letter short and simple.  I read so many letters that are trying to be funny. Just the facts. You don't need to tell me you are looking for representation.  That's the only reason I get pictures in the mail, from actors looking for representation.  No one is sending me their eight by ten photos of their vacation in Singapore.  Don't tell me you are responsible and on time.  You better be or find a new line of work.  Don't fill your envelope with glitter thinking it is cute...It isn't.  Its maddening and will guarantee you don't get in my door.

If you really want a shot at coming in, get a current client of mine to walk your picture in.  Find a casting director to call on your behalf.  Those two things will carry a lot of weight.  I usually say that an agent you get from a submission is probably not an agent that you will want.  WHAT?  I know.  Controversial.  I get 50 submissions a week.  I open them all.  If I call in two people a year, it is a good year.  I just don't have time to meet people that have no endorsements or recommendations.  Also, keep in mind that those recommendations need to be people I have a relationship with and can contact.  With client referrals and casting directors and managers sending me talent, i can't pull from the mail.  Those agents that have time to fill their schedule with mail in submissions may not have the strength you need.  But remember, there are no rules.

I usually tell actors to submit to casting directors as opposed to agents.  Get one to give you a meeting and ask them to refer you to an agent.  Money better spent.

Time to get ready for a 90 degree Thanksgiving.  Good hunting.

Comments

  1. Please, where do I get a good agent I can submit my screenplays ? Txs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And Justice For All?

Acting in the Time of Covid

The Myth of Pilot Season